Our History

Our Mother of Sorrows School was founded in 1878 under the guidance of the Sisters of Saint Joseph.  Today, students are led by Principal Emily Diefendorf and Assistant Principal, Josh Rundle, along with a dedicated faculty and staff of Religious and Lay Teachers.

St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish was founded in 1893. St. Katharine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament opened St. Ignatius of Loyola School in 1926. The school moved to its current facility in 1967. Today the school is St. Katharine’s only remaining mission in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

School administrators, parents, and parishioners from Our Mother of Sorrows and Saint Ignatius of Loyola came together in the spring of 2005 to create a new model of Catholic education. The result was the Saint Katharine Drexel Project. This new model called for a united administration and shared facilities.

Today we are one school with rich roots in both of our schools’ histories. We are able to leverage our resources to provide a quality Catholic education for a fraction of the price of public schools. Presently we have 10 classrooms, a library, a computer center, a resource room, the Margaret Madden Arts Center, and a gymnasium to foster our students’ growth.

Learn more about how we Live Our Mission.